Friday, January 29, 2010

My Black Apple Doll

A few days ago I decided I should make a doll for my cousin's 5th birthday. Her mother makes her really cute clothes so I thought I could use some of the same fabric to make the doll with, that way they match. Well, last night my sweet husband took me to the store to get my supplies and I made it last night. I was able to use leftover fabric for most of it. It only took about 3 hours and I only spent $1! I have plenty of stuff left over so I can probably make about 3 dolls for only $1. Pretty awesome I think. I think it is super cute and I am proud of myself. I have a little hand sewing to due and then I'm done. Her birthday party is on Saturday, hopefully she likes it.

I saw how to make it on Martha Stewart a few years ago. The pattern is by Emily of Black Apple. You can watch videos on how to make it, get the pattern and tutorials here.


I had to enlarge the pattern. Original on the right.


The tutorial says to cut out the leg/arm pieces first then sew then together. I decided to deviate from the plan. I thought it would be hard to sew such a little piece without my hands getting in the way. Instead I folded the fabric in half and traced the piece on, then I sewed on the line...


After I had sewn the pieces together I trimmed the seam allowance.


Emily recommend using a chopstick to turn and stuff the appendages but I used a Smores roasting stick.



The doll pre face, accessories and final sew up. I was nervous about painting on the face and thought about using buttons and sewing on the nose and mouth.



In the end I decided the painted face adds to the quirkiness. Here she is finished. The scarf is removable. She isn't perfect but that is how it goes when its handmade. I think she is adorable.


I am in the process of making more. All the dolls will have a photo shoot and I'll post the pictures later. If you decide to make one and have questions, holla!

3 comments: